What are Commercial Tandoor Ovens ?
Commercial tandoor ovens in the USA are specialized cooking appliances designed for preparing traditional tandoori dishes. Tandoor ovens have their roots in South Asian and Middle Eastern culinary traditions, and they are widely used for cooking various types of bread, meats, and vegetables. In the commercial setting, these ovens are often used in restaurants, catering services, and other foodservice establishments.
Key features of commercial tandoor ovens include:
- They are typically made of clay or stainless steel.
- Traditional clay tandoors impart a unique smoky flavor, while stainless steel models offer durability and ease of maintenance.
- Tandoor ovens are cylindrical with an opening at the top for inserting and removing food.
- The interior is heated with charcoal, wood, or gas, depending on the specific design.
- Heat Source:
- Traditional tandoors use charcoal or wood, while modern versions may be powered by gas.
- Gas-powered tandoors are preferred in commercial settings for convenience and controllability.
- Temperature Control:
- Designed to reach high temperatures for quick and efficient cooking.
- Some models have temperature control features to adjust heat for different dishes.
What is special about a commercial tandoor ovens ?
- Traditional Cooking Method: Maintains the traditional South Asian and Middle Eastern cooking style, imparting a distinct smoky flavor and unique texture.
- Versatility: Suitable for baking bread, grilling meats, roasting vegetables, and preparing a diverse range of dishes.
- High Temperatures: Designed to reach high temperatures quickly, resulting in a characteristic sear and char on meats.
- Cultural Authenticity: Essential for South Asian or Middle Eastern restaurants, adding tradition and authenticity to certain dishes.
- Visual Appeal: Cylindrical design with visible flames or glowing charcoal enhances the dining experience with a unique atmosphere.
- Customization and Size Options: Available in various sizes, offering customization for kitchen space and multiple cooking chambers for simultaneous dish preparation.
- Durable Construction: Whether traditional clay or modern stainless steel, built to withstand high temperatures and heavy use.
- Safety Features: Modern models equipped with safety features such as heat insulation, ventilation systems, and controls for safe commercial kitchen operation.